Yesterday we celebrated the perverse American pi day with pie. Perverse because Americans do their dates wrong. The real pi day is obviously 31/4/15 9:26:53 etc. Also, in celebration of Weebl and Bob. Never mind. I made a beef and ale pie. Easy enough. For two with leftovers:
- Fry one medium or two small onions with a clove or two of garlic in olive oil until softening.
- Dry a pound of diced beef of some sort then dust with flour, add to the onions and fry until browned. (There’s argument as to whether there’s any point to browning beef but I’l let that slide).
- Add a chopped carrot, half a dozen small mushrooms and maybe some shallots.
- Add seasonings to taste: salt (which I always forget!), pepper, maybe some paprika, Worcestershire sauce and herbs (I have Greek mountain oregano!). It was missing something until I added about a dessertspoon of soy sauce.
- Add an ale such as Guinness or a nice bitter until the beef is covered.
- Simmer VERY gently on the stove for a couple of hours, or put in a casserole in a 170C oven for the same time.
- When that’s done, put into a pie dish, put 100g grated cheddar on top, throw on an egged covering of pastry and bake at 190C for 40 minutes or so until the pastry is browned.